Whew what a long day today! It's almost eleven and I am so ready to go to bed. This morning we all got up early for 80's PT and spent the rest of the morning getting everything ready. Then, from 10am until 9pm it was nonstop!!
When the Corps Members arrived on campus (shuttled from the airport by some other Team Leaders), they went through "in-processing," which consisted of getting their name tags, room keys, an orientation to campus, and giving us copies of their paperwork. I was at the paperwork station, which was hands down the most hectic! Here's what we needed:
Proof of citizenship (one of the following):
1. Passport
2. Birth certificate
3. Social security card (with copy of state-issued photo ID)
License and driving record (if they want to drive a government van during SPIKE travel)
Proof of education completion (one of the following):
1. High school diploma
2. College degree
3. College transcript
...it was nuts because people brought different things, and I had to sort through each person's paperwork to figure out what it was that they had, ensure that they had brought everything they needed to bring, and then copy what needed to be copied while not copying what they had already brought copies of. OH, and then afterwards, I had to file all of it, alphabetically. And what took a long time was that each person's paperwork was not filed in the same place... education stuff was filed in one mega folder, citizen ship stuff in another, and then driving stuff in another. And while each folder had a separate pocket for each letter of the alphabet, within each of the pockets, the papers had to be alphabetized.
So... this was a very arduous process for each person, and even though we had three people manning the station it was a huge challenge to collect and sort and copy and file everything, and ALSO make sure that they had given us what we needed. And there was also an intimidatingly long line at our station too, just because it was the longest station of the bunch!
After in-processing, we had a quick opening ceremony where all of the Team Leaders were introduced via slideshow and then we had some safety tips for getting around campus. Finally, we had dinner, which was a very simple yet satisfying spaghetti dinner.
And once dinner was over, it was back to the dorms to run our hour-long floor meetings discussing rules and policies and all that jazz.
So I probably met like 100 people today and I don't remember most of them but I'm sure as time goes on I'll pick up one everybody's name. I had a lot of great introductory conversations with people today and think I accomplished my goal of making people feel welcome. I try to go out of my way to pull in those people who don't immediately click with everybody else, and it's satisfying to get them included in the group too.
Okay, well I am exhausted (again), and have to get up at 5:50am tomorrow to go running with some other Team Leaders at 6am. Tomorrow is less busy than today but that definitely doesn't mean it isn't busy! Campus sure is different with 300 more people here now. Whew!
Hi Chris,
ReplyDeleteYour schedule is crazy- I get exhausted reading how exhausted you are. But I guess it's pretty satisfying, and it should get more interesting now that all the volunteers are there.
Hey, post some pics of your team!
Papa
PS, I am pretty exhausted myself right now, still, even several hours after sanding the rust off the Avalon's hood!